Happy New Reading!



It's almost 2018, and here I am with my Christmas/birthday book haul. Possibly the best ever. I thought I'd post this now, at the threshold to a new year and revisit it later when I've read all the books in the pile, so you can hear my verdict on them.

So, here's the list:

  • To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey, author of The Snow Child. Strange things happen when a husband goes to explore the interior of Alaska and his wife is left behind.
  • At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald, author of my beloved Phantastes. Classic Victorian fantasy about a boy and a cab horse.
  • The Paper Magician by Charlie N Homberg. First in a series about a student magician.
  • The Iron Age by Arja Kajermo. A fairy-tale memoir of Finland and Sweden. Recently mentioned by booktuber Jen Campbell.
  • The Less than Perfect Legend of Donna Creosote by Dan Micklethwaite, one of my fellow Fogotten & Fantastical authors. A modern fairytale of the inner city.
  • The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa. A Japanese novel in the tradition of the classic I am a Cat.
  • Emperor of the Eight Islands by Lian Hearn. The beginning of a new epic from the author of Across the Nightingale Floor.
  • The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. A winter fairy tale of Russia.
  • The Caller by Juliet Marillier. Concluding part of the Shadowfell trilogy by one of my favourite ever authors.
  • Raven Girl by Audrey Niffenegger. Graphic novel that became a ballet, by the author of The Time Traveller's Wife. (Not in the picture because it's still in the post!)
I'm quite happy with this list, because it contains a mixture of English-language and translated books, as well as independent and mainstream. 

Do you have a big Christmas haul of books to read? Or any reading resolutions for the new year? Let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Hairy Women

A Day with the BBC

Beauty and the Beast: King of the Wood